How to Edit a Page
Just click the Edit tab at the top of any page and you will be brought to the Editing window.
Before You Start Editing
- Please remember that editing a page is for adding information and correcting factual and technical errors. It is not a way to disagree with someone -- that's what the Discussion Forums are for.
- Please make sure that you have read all the information about what each section is for, by clicking on the links on any page. For instance, if you click on Reviews, you will find that this is the place for professionally written reviews, not discussion and general commentary, which belong in the Discussion Forums.
How to Edit
- Click on the Edit tab at the top of any page.
- In the box that appears is all the text and formatting marks for the page. In general the formatting marks should be left alone if the page was created properly, as we have fixed page formats. If you would like to suggest changes to the formats, please raise the issue in the Main Page discussion forum. If you'd like to know more about formatting syntax, see the links at the bottom of the page.
- Add, change, or delete text as you would in a world processor. Make sure you don't change or delete the formatting marks accidentally.
- When you're done, go to the bottom of the page.
- Type a brief summary of your changes in the Summary box, i.e. "Added 2 new Topics."
- If you are making only minor changes, make sure Minor Edit is checked.
- Click Show Preview and check your page over. If you want to make more changes, do so in the box and click Show Preview again until you are satisfied.
- When it all looks the way you want, click Save Page. DON'T FORGET TO DO THIS STEP.
- Click Cancel to leave the page unchanged.
Important Formatting Notes
- Putting double brackets around any words make those words a link. If the page already exists, the link will be blue. If it doesn't exist, the link will be red, and clicking on it will create the page. Before you do so, though, please copy the correct Page Forms for the type of page you want to create, then paste it into the Edit Box before you begin entering your text.
- For a link to another site, just use the link. Like this: http://www.google.com
- If you want to have the link say something other than the address, type a space, the words you want, and surround the whole thing with single brackets. Like this (you'll have to click the Edit tab to see how we did it: Google
- Hitting the Return key once doesn't start a new line -- to do that you have to hit it twice.
- 3 apostrophes before and after a word or phrase make it Bold.
- 2 apostrophes before and after a word or phrase make it Italic.